Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Backstage









Graphite in sketchbook
Dec. 2010

So, my new assignment at work is to be on headset, backstage, stage right, during Jeff Daniels' Onstage and Unplugged concerts over the next couple weeks at the Purple Rose. This job involves gushing over the spectacular bluegrass extravaganza happening onstage from my position behind the musicians, various small pre-show duties, and keeping nosy patrons from getting through the locked door at my side. All in all, not too strenuous a task, and I have found that I have the time to draw while taking in the genius happening onstage, bluegrass style. Here are the drawings that happened during the first few shows...I apologize for the poor quality...I recently find myself without a scanner, and my camera doesn't pick up the graphite too well. I felt the need to draw some more ladies with abnormal teeth...I really like exploring the idea of these women having hidden strength/danger within them; the teeth represent that inner strength...and they're creepy, which I am strangely drawn to. Most of the them also turned into self portraits--when I sit stage right, there is a mirror right in front of me, so I felt like brushing up on drawing myself (plus headset). Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment