Monday, November 29, 2010

Silhouettes



Ballpoint pen on paper
April-May 2010


Cut magazine pages
Sept. 2010

Cut paper
Oct. 2010

Speedball ink with brush in sketchbook
Nov. 2010

For awhile now, I have been interested in silhouettes...particularly riffing, in my own work, on Victorian silhouette portraits. The top ballpoint pen drawings are from many moons ago, done last spring at Bowdoin College as part of my senior thesis project. I've included them again here as reference because I have continued with my fascination with the silhouette in works directly leading from these earlier drawings. The most recent iteration of this idea is the bottom drawing, a set of doodles I did the other day...ladies with buffaloes, ladies with long creepy fingers, buffaloes with parasols, all in silhouette. Above them are some paper cutouts I did earlier in my residency at the Quimby Colony, and I suppose they're pretty self-explanatory.

No comments:

Post a Comment