Friday, November 19, 2010

Tattooed Ladies



Speedball ink, brush, various nibs on pen in sketchbook
Nov. 2010

These ladies and their tattoo patterns just flowed right out of my hand, especially the one on top. Leading from Alex's advice on illustration, I've been trying to experiment with different materials, especially in terms of line width--brushes and nib pens have been very useful in this exploration. Soon I'll be posting some bigger experiments I've done with Alex's ink and brush supplies. The top drawing, like I said, just kind of happened...I had no idea she was going to be tattooed until my pen started tattooing her. While the drawings are related, the second one is inspired by a sketch I made several years ago after seeing "Eastern Promises"...not one of my favorite movies, but I was totally drawn into the culture and social hierarchy of tattoos in the Russian mob that was depicted in the movie, and made the sketch that inspired this drawing. She's got minaret-type designs on her cheeks, rainclouds and rain/tears on her forehead (it seemed like everyone had tragedy/issues in their lives in that movie), and long beetle-like, encompassing legs around her jaw--like the inescapable grasp of the mafia after you get involved with them. Anyways, that got a wee bit in depth! Enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment