Friday, November 19, 2010

Victorian Ladies from Harper's Bazaar, 1867-1898





Pilot rolling ball pen in sketchbook
Nov. 2010
Alex Rheault, of Quimby Colony fame, lent me this wonderful book to look through, copy drawings, find inspiration from: Victorian Fashions & Costumes from Harper's Bazaar: 1867-1898. I've been flipping through it kind of obsessively, drooling over the extravagance of bustles and the shapes of the women's corseted bodies, and also trying to figure out my own rendering style through copying the delicate lines of the fashion plates. This exercise has been extraordinarily helpful in my costume design practice, to pinpoint silhouettes and learn more about how the Victorians adorned their bodies. From an illustration standpoint, it  has gotten me to learn how to simplify and think about the rendering of different fabrics.

No comments:

Post a Comment